Well-off ad man Ned Merrill (Burt Lancaster) is visiting a friend when he notices the abundance of backyard pools that populate their upscale suburb. Ned suddenly decides that he’d like to travel the eight miles back to his own home by simply swimming across every pool in town. Soon, Ned’s journey becomes harrowing; at each house, he is somehow confronted with a reminder of his romantic, domestic and economic failures, until a final visit with an old flame (Janice Rule) leaves him devastated.
– Spectacular digital restoration created from 4K scans for optimal picture quality
– “The Story of THE SWIMMER” – the acclaimed five-part, 2-1/2 hour documentary by Oscar-winner Chris Innis featuring in-depth interviews with stars Janet Landgard, Joan Rivers and Marge Champion, composer Marvin Hamlisch, film editor Sidney Katz, assistant directors Michael Hertzberg and Ted Zachary, UCLA Olympic swim coach Bob Horn, and Joanna Lancaster
– The original NEW YORKER short story read by author John Cheever
– 12 page booklet with liner notes by legendary director Stuart Gordon (RE-ANIMATOR)
– Rare production stills from the lost alternate scenes
– Extensive still galleries, trailers and TV spots
– Beautiful embossed slip cover featuring original art by Glen Orbik
– BONUS CD – original soundtrack album by Marvin Hamlisch- newly remastered in stunning 24 bit/192khz sound from the original master tapes
– AND OTHER SURPRISES!