During planting season in Northern Italy’s Po Valley, an earthy rice-field worker (Silvana Mangano) falls in with a small-time criminal (Vittorio Gassman) who is planning a daring heist of the crop, as well as his femme-fatale-ish girlfriend, played by the Hollywood star Doris Dowling. Both a socially conscious look at the hardships endured by underpaid field workers and a melodrama tinged with sex and violence, this early smash for producer extraordinaire Dino De Laurentiis and director Giuseppe De Santis is neorealism with a heaping dose of pulp.
* New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
* Giuseppe De Santis, a 2008 documentary by screenwriter Carlo Lizzani
* Interview with Lizzani from 2003
* New English subtitle translation
* PLUS: An essay by critic Pasquale Iannone
New cover by Ken Laager