After garnering international acclaim for such seminal crowd-pleasers as _The Lovers_ and _Zazie dans le métro,_ Louis Malle gave his fans a shock with _The Fire Within_ (Le feu follet), a penetrating study of individual and social inertia. Maurice Ronet (Elevator to the Gallows), in an implosive, haunted performance, plays Alain Leroy, a self-destructive writer who resolves to kill himself and spends the next twenty-four hours trying to reconnect with a host of wayward friends. Unsparing in its portrait of Alain’s inner turmoil and shot with remarkable clarity, _The Fire Within_ is one of Malle’s darkest and most personal films.
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Archival interviews with director Louis Malle and actor Maurice Ronet
* _Malle’s Fire Within,_ a new video program featuring interviews with actor Alexandra Stewart and filmmakers Philippe Collin and Volker Schlöndorff
* _Jusqu’au 23 Juillet,_ a 2005 documentary short about the film and its source novel _Le feu follet,_ by Pierre Drieu la Rochelle, featuring actor Mathieu Amalric, writer Didier Daeninckx, and Cannes festival curator Pierre-Henri Deleau
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critic Michel Ciment and film historian Peter Cowie
_New cover by Rodrigo Corral_