Legendary filmmaker Ovidio G. Assonitis, whose Tentacles and Piranha II sought to cash in on the killer fish craze spawned by Jaws, first hit pay dirt in 1974 with Beyond the Door – a gloriously bonkers riff on The Exorcist featuring Emmy Award-winning actress Juliet Mills and distinguished British actor Richard Johnson.
Set against the backdrop of San Francisco, Beyond the Door stars Mills as Jessica Barrett, a young mother who starts to develop strange behaviors whilst pregnant with her third child. Before you can say “split pea soup”, Jessica is displaying signs of full-blown demonic possession – complete with projectile vomiting and fully-rotating head! Could it be that she’s carrying the child of the Antichrist himself?
Described as “disgusting”, “scary trash” and “maddeningly inappropriate” by film critic Robert Ebert and subject to a lawsuit by Warner Bros. (who claimed copyright infringement against a certain William Friedkin film), the devilish denizens at Arrow Video have summoned up this wickedly entertaining popcorn spiller in a brand new, extras-packed edition fit for Satan himself!
STANDARD EDITION CONTENTS
• 2K restoration of the Uncut English Export Version, released as The Devil Within Her (108 mins)
• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
• Original uncompressed mono audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Archival audio commentary with director/producer Ovidio G. Assonitis and Euro-horror historian Nathaniel Thompson, moderated by Lee Christian
• Archival audio commentary with star Juliet Mills and filmmaker Scott Spiegel, moderated by film scholar Darren Gross and Lee Christian
• Archival introduction with Juliet Mills and Lee Christian
• The Devil and Me – an interview with director/producer Ovidio G. Assonitis
• Barrett’s Hell – an interview with writer/ cinematographer Roberto D’Ettorre Piazzoli
• Beyond the Music – an interview with composer Franco Micalizzi
• The Devil’s Face – an interview with camera operator Maurizio Maggi
• Motels and Devils – an audio interview with actor Gabriele Lavia
• Beyond the Door: 35 Years Later – archival featurette including interviews with Ovidio G. Assonitis, Juliet Mills, star Richard Johnson and writer Alex Rebar
• Richard Johnson: An Englishman in Italy – archival featurette
• Alternate opening titles
• Trailers, TV and Radio Spots
• Image Gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach